This site provides information about the ferns and fern allies on the African continent.
The Family-list provides a taxonomic entry. We give information about the families, genera and species in pteridophytes. For each taxon literature references, synonyms, description and pictures of ferns are provided.
The Country-map generates a checklist of the pteridophytes for each country in Africa.
As of today, Thursday, 21 February 2019, we have 865 taxa in the database for Africa, divided over 123 genera and 36 families. Of these 865 taxa, descriptions have been completed for 591 taxa. I am always on the lookout for good pictures, please use the contact e-mail from the envelope in the footbar if you would like to contribute.
Good progress was made in 2018: 2/3 of the taxa have been updated, have descriptions & their pages completed!!!
- Currently updating Selaginellaceae
- Key in PDF format available on the genus pages for the pteridophyte species in Actiniopteris, Adiantum, Antrophyum, Blechnum, Dicranopteris, Gleichenia, Lindsaea, Mohria, Odontosoria, Schizaea and Vittaria.
- Updates done in following fern families: Adiantaceae , Anemiaceae, Aspleniaceae, Blechnaceae, Cyatheaceae, Davalliaceae, Dennstaedtiaceae, Dicksoniaceae, Dryopteridaceae, Gleicheniaceae, Hymenophyllaceae, Isoetaceae, Lindsaeaceae, Lomariopsidaceae, Lycopodiacea, Lygodiacaea, Marattiaceae, Marsileaceae, Ophioglossaceae, Osmundaceae, Parkeriaceae, , Polypodiaceae, Psilotaceae, Pteridaceae, Salviniaceae, Schizaeaceae (02/02/2019)
- Working on spot characters for ferns and fern allies of Africa! check it out: http://fernsofafrica.com/spotlist.php
- Recently taxonomists have agreed on a new phylogenetic classification for lycopods and ferns.
(Eric Schuettpelz et al., 2016, A community-derived classification for extant lycophytes and ferns, JSE 54-6:563-603 )
More information: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jse.12229/full